21 Jun 6th Annual U.S. Sand Sculpting Challenge – September 1 – 4!
One of the top 20 “Must See” seaside festivals / events in the world according to American Express and USA Today’s 10 Best, the U.S. Sand Sculpting Challenge and Dimensional Art Exposition will return to San Diego’s downtown waterfront for 2017. This will be the sixth year that one of the world’s most important sand-sculpting competitions will be held on this built-for-the-occasion beach, with over 300 tons of sand dumped on the pier on San Diego’s Big Bay. The 6th annual edition will be open to the public Sept. 1 – 4. The event is held on beautiful Broadway Pier and Landing on Labor Day weekend.
- It takes two full weeks from start-up to tear-down
- Over 300 tons of sand are brought onto Broadway Pier in downtown San Diego
- The public has just four days to see the sculptures, from September 1 – 4, 2017
- It will feature 11 professional international Master Sculptors competing solo plus 7 teams of 3 in the Cool California Carver competition
- The Dimensional Art Exposition – over 1,000 one-of-a-kind original works of art (metal, wood, glass, jewelry, hand-made clothing, wall-art, acrylic, fabric, gemstones, etc.) on display and for sale
- Family Fun – An expanded Kid Zone with rides and sandcastle building lessons taught by professional artists
- More than a dozen gourmet food trucks and a beer/wine garden
- Live entertainment all weekend long
- Special VIP area with great bay views